Jean-André Reiche, (Master 1785)
(1752 – 1817)
Pendule “La Liseuse”
Design, Paris 1806
Paris, c.1810, signed “Gérard a Paris”, (Rue du Coq St.-Honoré)
Gilt bronze on marble plinth
- 32,6 x 29,3 x 14 cm
The son of a tradesman, Reiche was born in Leipzig in 1752. He settled in Paris in the final years of the reign of Louis XVI, qualifying as a master founder in 1785. During the Empire he was listed as a “marchand-fabricant de bronzes”. The design for “La Liseuse” (young woman reading) dates from 1806. It was a successful motif. Versions were executed by well-known bronziers and clockmakers – among them Claude Galle – without additional figures on the plinth although some versions display a small dog or a pile of books.
The present version dates from circa 1810 and bears the name of the clockmaker “Gérard à Paris”, (Rue du Coq St.-Honoré) on the white enamel dial. Gérard worked in Paris from 1806 to 1830.
“Dictionnaire des Horologers Français”, Tardy, Paris 1972, p. 253
Hans Ottomeyer and Peter Pröschel, “Vergoldete Bronzen”, Munich 1986, pp. 374-5
Pierre Kjellberg, “Encyclopédie de la Pendule Française”, Paris 1997, pp. 398-9.
Fender or Chenet
Patinated and gilt bronze
- 130 (adjustable) x 38 x 9,2 cm
For comparable chenets, see “Ministère de la marine” and “École nationale supèrieure des marines de Paris”.
Ernest Dumonthier, “Les Bronzes du Mobilier National – Pendules et Cartels …”, 1911, pl. LI/1, pl. LII/6.
Model of a Baroque Facade
South-west Germany or Alsace, first half 18th century
Architecturally structured, semi-circular facade in Tuscan order.
Facade elements with polychrome paintwork, softwood columns partially carved.
On the verso decorative coloured motifs.
- 89 x 96 cm
Toni Zuccheri (Venini)
(1937 – )
“Tacchino” (a turkey)
Venice (Murano), c.1964
Coloured Murano glass, “murrhina” eyes, the head coral, the feet patinated bronze
- 47.5 x 47.5 cm
Attributed to Tobias Ch. Feilner (1773 – 1839)
Decorative top of a stove (crowned with volute)
Berlin, Tobias Feilner terracotta factory, circa 1800-30
Terracotta (bisquit finish), imprinted number “248”
- 28.7 x 50.8 x 21.3 cm
Feilner was the leading manufacturer of terracotta ware, architectural ceramics, stoves, vases, figures etc working in Berlin in the first half of the ninetenth century. Architects like Gentz, Gilly, Schinkel and Stüler commissioned Feilner to produce work after their designs.
Jan Mende, “Die Tonwarenfabrik Tobias Chr. Feilner in Berlin”, Berlin/Munich 2014, p. 151, fig. 99; pp. 464-5, figs. F55/1-18.
Three Kunstkammer Displays under Bell Jar
Italy, second half nineteenth century
Two arrangements of painted glass fruit (grapes, apples, pears, peaches), foliage of waxed textile, basketwork, each presented under a bell jar.
A composition of lava rock, shells, prawn and octopus carved in netsuke-style, under a bell jar.
Height of each bell jar: 47 cm, diameter 21 cm
Sample Book No. 1 (Plauen Lace/Embroidery)
Plauen, second half nineteenth century
43 pages, on both sides of each page with numerous samples
(between 6 and 15 samples per page, around 700 single items)
A wide variety of forms, colours and materials, employing wool, pearls, sequins.
Format of the sample book: 48.5 x 34 cm